Russian Martial Art
Home  |  FAQ FAQ  |  FAQ Search  |  Memberlist Memberlist  |  Usergroups Usergroups  |  Register Register  |    Our store
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in 

Russian Martial Art Systema by Vladimir Vasiliev, its proprietors, instructors, agents, employees, servants, successors and assigns assume no responsibility or liability for any of the events, products, instructors or training partners and other information posted on the forum or elsewhere on this website or in any written materials distributed by RMA. All information and training is at your own risk.

What's new in Russian Martial Art  Posts   Last updated 
Clip of the month Free Video Clips
Fri 08 Dec, 2006 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Latest news
Fri 08 Aug, 2014 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Product Reviews
Tue 19 Aug, 2014 08:07 PM Read more
No new posts Seminar Reviews
Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:20 AM Read more
No new posts Announcement Board
Tue 08 Mar, 2011 05:24 PM Read more
No new posts Training Partners
Tue 19 Aug, 2014 10:41 PM Read more
WORK
Systema, Russian Martial Art Forum Index -> Systema Training and Practice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerbMartin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradley Scheel wrote:

...Ug, I was suffering lung congestion (having asthma doesn't help things) ...

My wife has asthma, and usually get deathly ill whenever she gets a ordinary cold or flu (really, it sent her to the emergency room, or even to s hospitalization regularly over the last 15 years.)

I found out Buteyko breathing and got her to try it -- I can't yet prove that it cures asthma, but we can demonstrate that it absolutely removes nasal congestion quickly and easily (I haven't had a stopped up nose in months even though I tended this for decades.)

My wife however did get the flu last week for the first time since starting this -- and she came right out of it with no serious effects such as we would previously have expected. Not yet proof but very encouraging.

And, Buteyko breathing is very simple -- you just breath certain ways. It can be done while watching TV or (maybe) even driving.

I don't want to hijack Gene's important thread* completely so just email (HerbM@LearnQuick.Com) if you want more on this -- it's a little hard to find (FREE) explanations of Buteyko breathing without taking a class or buying a book or DVD, but I have a couple of emails with the basics explicated.

*Gene brought this "intent" (natural movements) and neurology training (independent movement through writing different digits etc with different limbs) back from Spring Training and I believe it is very important.

We have been making significant improvements, and this is certainly part of what is different.
Greg Faulk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a problem with leg lifts and a sore lower back, I have been putting my hands there to help stabilize it, and keeping it flat against the floor, however, this still is a problem. Is there any exercise I can do to help me build my body up, to replace leg lifts without hurting the lower part of my back.. Thanks again for your replies..

Laughing
RachelKlingberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am having a problem with leg lifts and a sore lower back, I have been putting my hands there to help stabilize it, and keeping it flat against the floor, however, this still is a problem. Is there any exercise I can do to help me build my body up, to replace leg lifts without hurting the lower part of my back.. Thanks again for your replies.

Well, no-one's actually replied, so let me just offer some advice. Are the leg lifts causing or exacerbating the soreness? If so, try not doing leg lifts for awhile, and see if your condition improves. Or just raise your legs to 90 degrees rather than completely over your head. Be sure to keep your hands underneath your butt to avoid over-arching your back as you do the leg lift. That's never a good idea. Your back lower back should be flush to the floor as you do the leg lift, with no room underneath. If it's not, the hands under your butt will force your lower back to the floor to avoid over-straining. BTW there are some diagrams and instructions about leg lifts in Let Every Breath.

But if the soreness continues even with a very moderate version of the leg lift, with hands under butt and only going to 90 degrees, I would suggest getting it checked out by a doctor. Going to 90 degrees with the hands under the butt should not be overly strenous. If it is, then there may be some other unrelated problem that is being aggravated by this exercise.

*Vsego nailuchshego* (best wishes),
Rachel
gene smithson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: uh huh Reply with quote

Well Im with Rachel...there are good descriptions in the book Let Every Breath.
Also, getting checked by a doctor is good.

One thing no one else has said is just bend your knees. The closer your feet are to your derriere the shorter the lever the less weight you are lifting. You can do these until you are stronger and can do conventional leg lifts.

Good luck,
gene
Greg Faulk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.. Laughing
Brian King

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the top. It has been a couple of years for this thread to simmer in the lower depths of the forum. During that time many new practitioners have come to share our art. This thread is a good example of training on and off the floor, this listening to and becoming aware of. The unwrapping of a precious gift is to experienced and shared I think. Thanks Gene for the OP and to the others that have so far contributed to the thread. I look forward to reading others thoughts and opinions.

Regards
Brian King

Reply to topic