Russian Martial Art
Home  |  FAQ FAQ  |  FAQ Search  |  Memberlist Memberlist  |  Usergroups Usergroups  |  Register Register  |    Our store
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in 

Russian Martial Art Systema by Vladimir Vasiliev, its proprietors, instructors, agents, employees, servants, successors and assigns assume no responsibility or liability for any of the events, products, instructors or training partners and other information posted on the forum or elsewhere on this website or in any written materials distributed by RMA. All information and training is at your own risk.

What's new in Russian Martial Art  Posts   Last updated 
Clip of the month Free Video Clips
Fri 08 Dec, 2006 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Latest news
Fri 04 Jul, 2014 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Product Reviews
Sun 20 Jul, 2014 03:01 PM Read more
No new posts Seminar Reviews
Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:20 AM Read more
No new posts Announcement Board
Tue 08 Mar, 2011 05:24 PM Read more
No new posts Training Partners
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:46 AM Read more
Attacker forgets you?
Systema, Russian Martial Art Forum Index -> Systema Training and Practice

Reply to topic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tapiotuomaala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Attacker forgets you? Reply with quote

In "The Combative Body"-dvd's Pre-emptive striking part after Vladimir has explained why it's better not to hit with tension he said something like: "It's better to just hit the guy...and he will forget about you and you can go home." He said it with a serious face so I suppose it's not a joke.

So can you really hit the attacker so that he will forget about hurting you? And then you can continue what you were doing? Or what is this about?
Kwan Lee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit philosophical but completely true and practical. I believe Vladimir meant that if you hit your attacker cleanly (i.e. stun him significantly without telegraphing and from a "blind spot"), he will tend to momentarily forget about pursuing you (at least to the level of vigor with which he started) and will tend to start looking "inward" due to the effects of the strike(s). This is of course if he isn't knocked-out.

The flip side of this is if you deal with him with a classic "fighter's" approach and intent, which may allow him to hook deeper into you (or vice versa) and which might then cause him to either fight harder/longer or, in the aftermath, carry some kind of persistent grudge against you (having a hard time of letting it go later) due to some injury or epic effort on his part. He'll then have a story to tell.

In effect, hitting properly and imperceptively can be a merciful act Smile

His statement is a reminder of where Systema comes from and the elusive goal of being professional enough to enter into an "event" without attachments, complete your work, and leave cleanly without attachments.

Kwan Lee

"Bucket work implies much more discipline than most men realize." -- R. Bly
tapiotuomaala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, your post was clarifying.
cole parzenn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the second time today I was reminded of something Martin said (I'm paraphrasing, of course):

"If you want to disappear/hide in plain sight/become invisible, make him [the guy trying to hurt you]think about himself-he'll look right through you."
Blake LeBlanc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Kwan's and Cole's posts, I can definitely vouch for this "forgetting your attacker" type of hit. Most recently was with Martin Wheeler (but it's something I find common in all well-experienced Systema persons).

When the solidness, depth, and placement of the strike are a complete surprise, I find my body starts to go into escape mode as it tries to create distance so it can draw a frame of reference for what just happened. When two or three of these strikes are landed in succession, it truly is a dumb-founding place to be in. I feel completely helpless and, like Kwan alluded, the total lack of ability to perceive what/where/why is happening has a very profound effect on a person's state. If even for the span of a few moments.

It's brilliant work!
Mark Jakabcsin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall Mikhail saying "Three or more strikes is marital arts, two strikes is a good fight, one strike is Systema." Something I strive for.

MJ

Reply to topic