Russian Martial Art
Home  |  FAQ FAQ  |  FAQ Search  |  Memberlist Memberlist  |  Usergroups Usergroups  |  Register Register  |    Our store
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in 

Russian Martial Art Systema by Vladimir Vasiliev, its proprietors, instructors, agents, employees, servants, successors and assigns assume no responsibility or liability for any of the events, products, instructors or training partners and other information posted on the forum or elsewhere on this website or in any written materials distributed by RMA. All information and training is at your own risk.

What's new in Russian Martial Art  Posts   Last updated 
Clip of the month Free Video Clips
Fri 08 Dec, 2006 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Latest news
Fri 04 Jul, 2014 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Product Reviews
Sun 20 Jul, 2014 03:01 PM Read more
No new posts Seminar Reviews
Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:20 AM Read more
No new posts Announcement Board
Tue 08 Mar, 2011 05:24 PM Read more
No new posts Training Partners
Tue 29 Jul, 2014 12:02 PM Read more
Video on Shashkas
Systema, Russian Martial Art Forum Index -> Systema Training and Practice

Reply to topic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cole parzenn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Video on Shashkas Reply with quote

This doesn't have much to do with Systema Training and Practice but I know it'll interest some people here. They're a great example of Russian engineering.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8339305234510333885
Alex Basile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very cool. Something that is faster on the draw attack than the katana is real interesting. How'd you find this video, anyway?
cole parzenn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Shashkas are a very cool weapon. As for being fast to draw and attack than a Katana, the Ninjatō's short length provided Ninjas a tactical advantage by being quicker to draw (very useful when you don't wear armor). Ninjas would point them strait at their opponents during pauses in the confrontation to keep the opponent from knowing the length of the sword. It's a million little things like that that got Ninjas their reputation.
Alex Basile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointing the tip toward is a good trick. The edge would work, too (because it's thin, it's hard for the sight to,"catch," and to tell how long the blade is). I'm real interested in some of those other tricks you were talking about. I know plenty about the ninja, but I actually never heard that one (I heard about it reading about Sayoc Kali.). Another good one is the khkuri. That can do the damage of a short sword, at the weight of a light tomahawk & the size of a large knife. It's got hooking ability, too. Real cool. It seems to take some practice to get it out of the sheath fast, though.
cole parzenn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of cool ninja tricks...

Claw things were worn on their hands to climb walls and 'catch' blades, trick doors were built into their houses, various blinding agents were thrown into an opponents eyes for getaways, dark blue (not black) was worn to blend into the night, etc., etc..

Then they were hired to protect the feudal lords they had been picking off and they developed all sorts of new tricks.

What interests me is how one can learn to use a Shashka outside of the Ukraine/part of Russia that was the Ukraine at various times. Those things look seriously awesome.
Milos Malic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offtopic, but jeweler lady looks like something I wouldn't like coming to my dreams.

Reply to topic