Russian Martial Art
Home  |  FAQ FAQ  |  FAQ Search  |  Memberlist Memberlist  |  Usergroups Usergroups  |  Register Register  |    Our store
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in 

Russian Martial Art Systema by Vladimir Vasiliev, its proprietors, instructors, agents, employees, servants, successors and assigns assume no responsibility or liability for any of the events, products, instructors or training partners and other information posted on the forum or elsewhere on this website or in any written materials distributed by RMA. All information and training is at your own risk.

What's new in Russian Martial Art  Posts   Last updated 
Clip of the month Free Video Clips
Fri 08 Dec, 2006 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Latest news
Fri 04 Jul, 2014 12:00 AM Read more
No new posts Product Reviews
Sun 20 Jul, 2014 03:01 PM Read more
No new posts Seminar Reviews
Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:20 AM Read more
No new posts Announcement Board
Tue 08 Mar, 2011 05:24 PM Read more
No new posts Training Partners
Sat 26 Jul, 2014 02:19 AM Read more
A little bit of crazy
Systema, Russian Martial Art Forum Index -> Systema Training and Practice

Reply to topic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon Friedman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: A little bit of crazy Reply with quote

Upon returning to civilian life from the army even for a short while you notice how safe expected and regular things are. Taking this into our pre work drilling called lessons and practice we tend to normalize this field as well. I tend to switch learning ground lighting and tools from time to time and I am sure other do as well but we also need to release ourselves from sense and reason from time to time to clean our minds and bodies from expectations and stagnation. I usually just walk and roll and move my hands here and there which is what works for me but in training it helps me and the students to break the mold is to do the not logical and crazy from time to time.

Examples:
1 A small container of spray with clean water in it can be used to temporarily blind the partner for abduction toward some trunk.
2 using airborne moves like jumping onto someones back and two legged kicks to avoid repetitive expectations
3 sudden noise and light especially at night to aid in learning to breath out tension and expectations
4 long periods of waiting for the attack to come to clean out the expectations and tension from the body and mind
5 bringing ones face too close to another's face creating social disharmony to contact with "inappropriate" body parts

You must be careful to aid the student and yourself in the work before the work in the same way a father wants to advance his children and give them the challenge they can handle with safety and learn from instead of creating more tension and fear. We already have more than enough of that.

Sharon
Systema Israel.
Inspired by Systema Excellence by MR and KK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1J2FAs73R8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldmm7wlpho
Daniel Derrig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful post.
I like 3 and 5 especially and have used them. In my Krav Maga training we had practice moving our faces especially close to random people at some of the seminars. It was much more discomforting than I had thought - these were all decent people and I was surprised at how nervous I was to smell my random partner's breath (it was at one of the seminars so it wasn't anyone I knew) and look into his eyes that were staring back into mine. They wanted us to stay focused and not nervous, excited, or tense. On the other hand, they wanted us to be able to handle ourselves in spite of adrenaline rushing and stuff.

Also, we've fired .38spl +P loads out of a snubnose revolver at night before to learn to cope with the flash blindness and temporary deafness. Little pyrotechnics like you pick up at Walgreens, loud music, flickering lights, strobes, etc might all be good ideas too (used with caution, of course,) but apart from the loud music and irregular lighting, we didn't use those things in Krav Maga. I'm pretty new to Systema so I hope that some of what I took away from Krav Maga will be of help and it is something with which I am sure you are familiar!
Sharon Friedman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Hello Daniel Reply with quote

HI Daniel.

I am glad you use and benefit from the drills. Anything you carry with you is useful with the right state of mind and Systema is the right state of mind Smile

Sharon
Systema Israel
Tim Cleary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - it can be very disconcerting to have one's nose pinched shut, to be lightly stroked on the upper thigh (upwards is worse than downwards) or to have someone gently blow into your face...

Not to mention something I took from a previous post here on the forum:

Give someone a knife they can conceal and use at any time, in any drill, on anyone...

Tim..

Reply to topic